Disable Cameras on Microsoft Surface Pro
The Front and Rear Facing Cameras in the Surface Pro 3 are disabled via UEFI setting
How do I get to the UEFI settings?
You can adjust the UEFI settings only during system startup. To load the UEFI firmware settings menu:
- Shut down your Surface and wait about 10 seconds to be sure it is off.
- Press and hold the volume-up button on your Surface, and, at the same time, press and release the power button.
- The Microsoft or Surface logo appears on your screen. Continue to hold the volume-up button. Release the button once the UEFI screen appears.
You can also load the UEFI firmware settings menu through Windows. To do this:
- Go to Start , select Settings > Update & security > Recovery.
- Under Advanced startup, select Restart Now.
- On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart
How to disable your PC’s camera using Windows Device Manager
- Search for “Device Manager” in your task bar search field.
- Click on Windows Device Manager.
- Scroll down to “System Devices,” and click the right-facing arrow to open the menu.
- Scroll down in that menu until you find “Microsoft IR Camera Front.”
- Right-click on “Microsoft IR Camera Front.”
- Click to select Disable device.
- Click Yes in the pop-up box to confirm your decision to disable the camera. You should see a small downward-arrow icon to designate that the device is disabled.